The Fish Handler/Wholesale Receiver is responsible for all functions of receiving fresh fish in accordance to FDA and Food Safety standards. Typical work activities include meeting with local fisherman to verify the freshness of the fish, conduct and perform an extensive sensory evaluation and accept/reject fish accordingly.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Complete receiving records and vessel HACCP records accurately.
- Conduct thorough interviews with all fisherman and complete interview form accordingly.
- Perform sensory evaluation on all incoming fish; accept or reject accordingly. Complete records and document accurately.
- Assist fishermen with unloading fish and loading of bait and ice.
- Weighing, tagging, hanging and/or brining fish in accordance to proper Food Safety handling.
- Follows all Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) procedures that relate to all fish receiving operations within the Fish Market.
- Communicating any deficiencies of equipment that may need attention immediately to Wholesale Supervisor.
- Sanitize all equipment (i.e. knives, scales, coring rod, gloves, brine boxes) and store in proper storing area.
- Performs inspections on flatbed truck, van, forklift and pallet jacks to ensure proper function.
- Fill orders accurately and deliver to appropriate destination.
- Maintain chill, brine boxes, ice machines, storage area, and auction floor area to ensure required level of cleanliness in accordance to FDA guidelines.
- Empties trash bins and cleans trash area daily.
- May clean other areas of the Fish Market, to include breakroom, restrooms, prep kitchens, offices, etc.
- Clean and sanitize auction block.
- Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to ensure a safe work environment.
- Acknowledge and appropriately greet and assist every customer in a timely manner.
- Maintain a high level of customer service and display a friendly and warm atmosphere with all co-workers.
- Organize workflow to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work safely and follow all safety policies and procedure.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Organizational Skills
- Time Management
- Ethical Conduct
- High level of confidentiality
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a warehouse/ retail market setting. This role routinely uses standard warehouse equipment such as pallet jacks, hand trucks, and forklifts.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a non-exempt (hourly) position and the schedule will be based on the business hours of Monday through Friday, 3:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and Saturday, 3:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility in a safe and satisfactory manner. Work under minimal supervision, apply logic and reasoning to solve complex problems, use sound judgement and discretion in performing work duties. Requires the ability to read and write good English.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, bend, and twist; requires activities involving being around moving machinery, exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity, and exposure to dust, fumes, and gases. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs on a regular basis and up to 100 lbs on occasion.
Ability to work safely and follow all safety policies and procedures. Must be able to maintain a safe environment and ensure compliance with all rules, procedures, and regulations for safety and operations.
No travel is expected for this position.
Successful completion of the Food Safety Manager course through the State of Hawaii Department of Health and Seafood HACCP through AFDO; or ability to obtain within the first 6 months of employment.
Required Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred Education and Experience
- Desire to learn and grow
- Must have attention to detail, excellent customer service, and front of the line support
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Authorized to work in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.